Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Wiz- the Movie

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhwVkEuigjbFYiazKS_C3PWcUIZZsavMUDASaHB_Qe9OhuDLO6UVnk3R3rczUFa1oMMCg21khoCNx5UBG1-K5ILgz1iajyerJ9zUC2Y_2JycCaE0WWU56TZXz2X1S_1OCEJOEb9KcEosz4n/s400/The+Wiz+1.bmp

okay, so I bought this movie on DVD, aftre hesitating whether or not i should buy it. and I watched it lasted night, and I was like this movie was/is Amazing!

my favorite character, the one I would mostly likely like (??) to portray in stage production, would be the Lion, played by Ted Ross, this character is funny, and Ross is amazing! Tidbit: He was actually the lion in the original Broadway production, probably why he does such a great job. He doesn't really look like himself with all the make up & costume on (photographic evidence below).

Also he also sings one of my fav musical songs I'm a Mean Ole Lion (the background is amazing, the trumpets, the whole arrangement, amazes me everytime, AND the snarling of the Lion, like whaaa)

Ted Ross
http://lifeinlegacy.com/2002/0907/RossTed.jpg

(he passed sometime in 2002, i didn't know that : ( R.I.P. )

as the Lion

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/11/06/33/11063372_tml.jpg

(looks completely different)

my second favorite one would be the Scarecrow, beautifully portrayed by the late Michael Jackson. and watching this movie last night I was like "MJ did a great job!" like i never really notice before, but everything he did was very sincere, like u really get the feeling he's this scarecrow. oh & love his quote at the end of the film.
Success, fame, and fortune, they're all illusions. All there is that is real is the friendship that two can share.
This makes me kinda upset he didn't do more movies, but hey. this one is great.

http://andrewsidea.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/thewiz1.jpg

I know I'm getting very analytical of this movie (which is a secret passion of mine, not so much a secret anymore), but I really discovered that this movie has a deeper message about Freedom.

if you look at it, the Scarecrow was stuck up on the pole , the Tin Man was stuck under Tiny, and the Lion was stuck in the Lion stature thing. For various reasons they were stuck and weren't free until Dorothy came along, who ironically was stuck in this land called Oz. The Scarecrow was stuck on the pole because he was listening to people (the crows) telling him he could never get down, the Tin Man stuck under tiny, his past lover or whatnot, she was bringing him down, and the Lion stuck by his past of not showing courage or what not.

AND after they kill Evillene,they, along with all the workers, sing A Brand New Day, which to me is the time in which everyone receives their freedom. Freedom from those things that held them down/back. Then, coming to only find out that this "Wiz" which they looked to get their freedom from, was also stuck, behind his dishonesty, and his own past of not being able to get elected to office. But after Dorothy helps everyone realize their freedom, she is able to be free, and return home.

Overall, I think maybe the people who wrote this was just saying to people ( i think more so black people) is to get Free, stop letting people hold you back, and those things you don't think you got, look within yourself it's there, you just have these obstacles holding you back and you can't see that you possess what you desire. ( this is HEAVY!!!!)

I'm just really glad I bought this DVD, now I can watch it anywhere, pretty kool.
btw this movie is def a Black-tackular one.

aight
PEACE & CHICKEN GREASE!

No comments: