Monday, August 3, 2009

Movie Rambling...............................

Watermelon Man
http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/722/40247722.jpg
okay this movie was really good. I don't remember what day I watched it, but it's a very good movie about racism. Basically, a white bigot wakes up one day to find that he's a black man, takes place in the 1960s, movie came out in 1970. Just so good.

The main character, I guess the "watermelon man", played by Godfrey Cambridge,

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images/biscuit2.jpg
(never heard of him before this movie...probably cuz he died in 1976)

did such a good job. This movie had the racism but also a bit of comedy surprisingly (and also a random sex scene that was mucho hilarious...they were like rumbling around in the sheets...literally)

I say random, because the guy (Godfrey) was like talking with his wife (in an argument of course) but then he's randomly having sex with this lady, which I thought was his wife at first, but then it wasn't.....oops.....

another funny thing about it, Godfrey was in whiteface for the first part of the movie (you can see it in the first pic), and when the character turned black, all I could see was him as a white person, because weirdly Godfrey doesn't have distinguishably "black voice" (<--whatever that means)

I just loved this movie, and I am tempted to buy it. Also according to Wikipedia the Director of this film, Melvin Van Peebles,
http://www.ovationtv.com/files/large_image_videos/0000/0229/melvin_van_peebles_372x495.jpg
(wait!, i think I've seen this dude before...okay)
was black, and I believe the first black person to direct a film, may be wrong on that...not sure....

As a result of this movie, I wanted to know what I would look like as a white man, so I googled it.
Check it out in the next post.

was going to ramble about the Incredible Hulk but's it's most def. fails in comparsion to this one.
Btw, def a black-tackular film.
until next time......
PEACE & CHICKEN GREASE!!!!

No comments: